Celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Within the Nurseries in Gatley and Whalley Range, we are celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee with a special Garden Party on Wednesday 1st June 2022, for those children who are attending nursery that day. The children are encouraged to wear red, white and blue. In preparation for the Garden Parties, the children have made their own bunting and flags; and have made and sent a card to the Queen congratulating her on her Platinum Jubilee.
We wanted to highlight a few eclectic facts and figures from the Queen’s reign to date:
- Her Majesty has owned more than 30 Corgis and Dorgis during her reign, most of which have been descended from her first Corgi, Susan, who was gifted to her on her eighteenth birthday in 1944.
- During her reign, Her Majesty has received many gifts including a variety of live animals. The more unusual animals were placed in the care of zoos, among them jaguars and sloths from Brazil, an elephant from Cameroon and two black beavers from Canada.
- The Queen has been served by 14 Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom during her reign – her first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill.
- Her Majesty made her first radio broadcast in 1940 when, aged 14, she recorded a message of support for young people affected by the war in Europe, particularly those being evacuated from their homes, on the BBC’s Children’s Hour.
- Her Majesty speaks fluent French and has often used the language during audiences and State Visits.